Wednesday, November 29, 2023
Select menu item

Recording an Imported Horse

Imported Hanoverian, Rhineland, or Hessen horses issued registration papers outside of the United States must be recorded into the AHS’ database to compete for AHS year-end breed awards, go to an inspection, or have offspring registered with AHS.

Horse Information:

  • A name must be declared for the horse.
    • Any horse ALREADY ENTERED into the German Studbook MAY NOT HAVE THEIR NAME CHANGED.
  • When choosing a name, it must start with the first letter of the sire’s name.
    • Certain “W” line horses have reverted to the “F” line, so please check with the AHS Office if this applies to your horse.
  • The name may not exceed 20 characters, including spaces and punctuation, and must be unique.
  • You are allowed to show your horse under a different name.
  1. Fill out the recording of an imported horse form below. You will need to upload a copy of the front cover and pages 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 for passports issued prior to 2017 and for passports issued in 2017 or later, a copy the front cover and pages 21, 22 and 23 OR a copy of the front of the Certificate of Ownership.
  2. The owner of record will be amended in the AHS database and stickers will be mailed to the new owner to affix onto the original passport.

If you have any questions, contact Christy at  or at (859) 255-4141 ext.102.

Recording of an Imported Horse Form