Wednesday, November 29, 2023
Select menu item

Certificate of Pedigree Request

PLEASE NOTE: if you want a Certificate of Pedigree for a horse that resides in Canada, contact the Hanoverian Verband (HV). 

Complete the form below to submit for a Certificate of pedigree for your horse. 

  • A Certificate of Pedigree (CP) is for horses that have one parent that is either registered or approved Hanoverian or Rhineland and one parent that is not.  If going through the dam, she must be in the Main Studbook.  If going through the sire, keep in mind that stallion dues may apply (e.g. Inactive Sire Fee if the stallion dues have not been previously paid for the year of breeding). 
  • Certificate of Pedigree horses, nor any of their offspring, ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR INSPECTION into the breeding program due to the fact that the one parent is not approved for breeding.  They cannot have registered offspring.  Members often take their CP horse to other registries who allow these horses to be entered into a lower level book and upon inspection, can have registered foals through that registry.
  • Certificate of Pedigree horses are eligible for AHS year-end awards in performance sport horse classes.  They would not be eligible for Individual Breed Class awards (IBC's) as these only apply to fully-papered Hanoverian or Rhineland horses.


  • Application for a Certificate of Pedigree (CP) can be submitted by completing the online Certificate of Pedigree form below. 
  • For CP horses that are in their year of birth or have a breeding certificate, will not be required to have DNA parent-verification.  For those that do not, on the application select "No" and the office will send you a DNA kit to parent-verify ($60 for DNA kit) the horse to the approved parent the horse is getting the CP through.
  • All CP horses that have not previously been microchipped will be required to do so.  The office will mail you a microchip that your licensed veterinarian will insert and sign the microchip certificate that you return to the AHS office. For those horses previously chipped, we will need a microchip verification certificate signed by your licensed veterinarian listing the microchip number and their signature verifying that they scanned and verified the number.  
  • A copy of the unapproved parent’s registration papers/lineage will be required to complete the lineage on the CP.  If the unapproved parent is not registered, we will simply list the horse’s name and put unregistered under the name.  The lineage will be blank on the C