The American Hanoverian Society’s x-ray protocol is based upon the society’s studbook reciprocity with the Hannoveraner Verband. To proceed to the licensing, the owner of a stallion candidate must provide the following required radiographic views:
- P3/Navicular (Fore limb only)
- Lateromedial (Must be elevated on a block to evaluate the entire hoof).
- 60° dorsoproximal-palmardistal oblique, commonly known as a DV (Must have clear interpretation of the navicular bone, shoes must be removed if unable to view the navicular bone in its entirety).
- Lateromedial (flexed in fore limb, standing in hind limb, clearly visualizing the sagittal ridge of the distal cannon).
- Dorsal 10° proximal-palmar/plantarodistal oblique, commonly known as an AP, or DP (elevating seasmoids apart from P1 visualizing the distal cannon).
- 45° dorsomedial/posteriorlateral oblique (highlighting the distal intermediate ridge of the tibia and the distal lateral trochlear ridge of the talus).
- Dorsoplantar view at 10° lateral (highlighting the medial malleolus of the distal tibia).
- Lateromedial (including the patella)
- Caudal 60° lateral-craniaomedial oblique (highlighting the medial femoral condyle in its entirety).
- Based upon the findings, the stallion’s x-rays will be determined to be either acceptable, in which case the horse may proceed to the licensing, or not acceptable, in which case the horse will be withdrawn from the licensing. A description of the radiographic findings will be documented and sent to the owner.
- Any invasive joint surgery that has been performed must be reported when the radiographs are submitted. Pre-operative radiographs of the specified joint or joints must be included.
- With regard to OCD: Stifles must be free from positive finding. Bilateral OCD fragments in the tarsi are not acceptable. Severe/extensive OCD fragments in a tarsus or a fetlock are not acceptable. One fragment in a tarsus and one further joint, excluding the tarsus or stifle, is acceptable.
- Stallions will not be deemed acceptable with severe navicular or spavin changes.
Reports will not be distributed until payment has been made in full for the interpretation services.