You are here: Home › Stallion Licensing X-ray Requirements
Stallion Licensing X-ray Requirements
2019 X-RAY PROTOCOL
- P3/Navicular (Fore limb only)
- Lateromedial (Must be elevated on a block to evaluate the entire hoof).
- 60° dorsoproximal-palmardistal oblique, commonly known as a DV (Must have clear interpretation of the navicular bone, shoes must be removed if unable to view the navicular bone in its entirety).
- Lateromedial (flexed in fore limb, standing in hind limb, clearly visualizing the sagittal ridge of the distal cannon).
- Dorsal 10° proximal-palmar/plantarodistal oblique, commonly known as an AP, or DP (elevating seasmoids apart from P1 visualizing the distal cannon).
- 45° dorsomedial/posteriorlateral oblique (highlighting the distal intermediate ridge of the tibia and the distal lateral trochlear ridge of the talus).
- Dorsoplantar view at 10° lateral (highlighting the medial malleolus of the distal tibia).
- Lateromedial (including the patella)
- Caudal 60° lateral-craniaomedial oblique (highlighting the medial femoral condyle in its entirety).
- There is no longer a grading system. Based upon the findings of the three-veterinarian panel, the stallion’s x-rays will be determined to be either acceptable (i.e. horse may proceed to the licensing) or not acceptable (horse will be withdrawn from the licensing). A description of the radiographic findings will be documented.
- Any invasive joint surgery that has been performed must be reported when the radiographs are submitted. Pre-operative radiographs of the specified joint or joints must be included.
- With regard to OCD: Stifles must be free from positive finding. Bilateral OCD fragments in the tarsi are not acceptable. Severe/extensive OCD fragments in a tarsus or a fetlock are not acceptable. One fragment in a tarsus and one further joint, excluding the tarsus or stifle, is acceptable.
- Stallions will not be deemed acceptable with severe navicular or spavin changes.
- Studies may be emailed in DICOM format to firstname.lastname@example.org. JPEG images will not be accepted.
- Radiographs in DICOM format on a CD, containing a single study, can also be shipped via Federal Express to:
Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital
Attn: Lauren Jeter
2150 Georgetown Road
Lexington, KY 40511 Tel: (859) 280-3407