Lexington, KY: The AHS Summer inspection tour was a great success, with breeders and owners bringing many quality Hanoverians from across the United States and Canada to inspection sites. Inspections proved to be educational for breeders, owners and spectators, thanks to the constructive comments and input from judges. Cooperation, fun and great food were also common themes during the tour. Many thanks to all site hosts for the tremendous amount of time and effort donated to make the AHS summer inspection tour so successful.
Full inspection reports may be found in the The American Hanoverian – Fall 2013.
Some highlights submitted to HT by site hosts (score verification pending from AHS) include:
July 20-21, 2013 - Hilltop Farm, MD:
Hanoverian enthusiasts from as far away as Ohio, Arkansas, and Alabama came to Hilltop for the AHS annual inspection and the East Coast Stallion Licensing. Two stallions were presented, both US-bred. Greengate Farm’s 3-year old Sternlicht GGF (Soliman de Hus-Rascalino-Welsey) was approved with comments from the judges including "leggy, well-developed, with a beautiful front and excellent rideability." This is the second licensed stallion for Rachel Ehrlich’s breeding program as she also bred Donarweiss GGF.
Seven mares took part in the Mare Performance Testing. These mares included:
- Showgirl (Scimitar-Arrian), owner: Marianne Butterworth, breeder: Mo Swanson
Final Score 7.44 (previously inspected so now an Elite Mare Candidate)
- Raj Mahal HTF (Royal Prince-Donnerhall), owner/breeder: Hilltop Farm
Final Score 7.64, tied for high-score (previously inspected & has had a foal so now an Elite Mare)
- Dinah (Donavan-Dom Menotti xx), owner: Steve English, breeder: Jill Costello
Final Score 6.5, Studbook inspection score 7.16 (entered into Studbook)
- Bellatae (Bugatti-Grusus), owner: Tiffany Bragdell, breeder: Kaye Triplett
Final Score 7.0, Studbook inspection score 6.66 (entered into Main Studbook)
- Bellatesse HTF (Bugatti-Cordoba), owner: Kris Schuler, breeder: Hilltop Farm - 7.64
Final Score 7.64, tied for high-score (previously inspected so now an Elite Mare Candidate)
- Donatella CF (Donarweiss-Tantris), owner/breeder: Kim Kobryn-Callaway
Final Score 7.19, Studbook inspection score of 7.17 (now an Elite Mare Candidate)
- Waiting to Waltz (Welcome S-Royal Prince), owner: Ann Sherwood, breeder: Mo Swanson
Final Score 6.8, Studbook inspection score of 7.17 (entered into Main Studbook)
The AHS Yearling & Two-Year Old Futurity is in its second year running. We hope this option will continue to gain popularity with participants. Top placings included:
1st - Cha Ching HTF (Contucci-Cordoba), owner/breeder: Hilltop Farm – 77%
2nd - Royal Reflection MF (Royal Prince-Pablo), owner/breeder: Kris Schuler – 69.5%
1st - Quinzy HTF (Qredit-Cordoba), owner/breeder: Hilltop Farm – 73.5%
1st - Hotstreak CF (Hotline-Rotspon), owner: Chris Preston, breeder: Mary Beth Stanton 73.5%
2nd - Rex Roland BHF (Royal Prince-Domiro), owner/breeder: Paula Byrum – 71.5%
Six Hanoverian mares were presented for inspection. The High-Scoring Mare was Karan Schwencer's beautiful, refined mare Lady in Red KS (Liberty Gold-Brentano II). Out of the wonderful mare, Berlina, Lady in Red scored an overall 8.0 and comments of very good model, really good shoulder, strong loin, long-legged, and always uphill. Other Elite Eligible Mares included Lolita TFH (Liberty Gold-Donnerhall), owned/bred by Talley Ruhle, who scored an overall 7.5 and Raureif (Ramiro's Bube-De Niro), owned/bred by Catherine Haddad, who scored an overall 7.33. Flip Flop TFH (Feiner Stern-Prince Thatch xx), owned by Tally Ruhle, and Bahia Breeze (Bennetton Dream-Banditentraum), owned by Michelle Ryan, were both accepted into the Main Studbook with overall scores of 6.87.
Two non-Hanoverian mares were presented and both were accepted Main Studbook with overall scores of 7. They were Unicum-D (Negro-Fruhling) owned by Hilltop Farm and Wilamina (Wonderful-Maronjo) owned by Denise Bryant who was chosen as the Top Non-Hanoverian Mare. Foals presented were sired by Welfenkonig, Mighty Magic, Royal Prince, Contucci, Belissimo M, Chiron xx, and Escudo II. Top Jumper Foal was Laurie Cameron's Chrome Chiron C (Chiron xx-Linton) and Top Dressage Foal was Tally Ruhle's Wind Horse TFH (Welfenkonig-Liberty Gold).
July 21, 2013 Brookside Equestrian Center, RI
Four top quality Hanoverians were presented to judges at the AHS Inspection at Brookside Equestrian Center in Rhode Island. Winner of the Two Year Old Futurity Filly class was WaterLilly SPF (Waterford-Leah DB), owned by Gina and Andrew Leslie, Sandpiper Farm. Rafaela SPF (Royal Prince-Adira), also owned by the Leslie's, was the winner of the Yearling Filly Futurity class. Two beautiful foals were presented as well; Cor D'Elise, an elegant Coeur D'Amour colt out of SPS Emma Peel K by Escudo II, owned by Crossen Arabians and Warmbloods, CT and 2013 MS Fatima Filly (San Amour-MS Fatima by DeNiro), owned by Beth Ziegler, Sturbridge, MA
July 22, 2013 Hilton Farm, VA
Annie (Antibes-EM Lucy x Letkiss) was the Champion Hanoverian Mare of the inspection. She is owned/bred by Otto Fuchs, Hilton Farm. Lexi Anna (Liberty Gold-Antibes), a Hanoverian mare bred by Michael Anello and owned by Elizabeth Slone & Daniel Temeles was inspected and accepted into the studbook.
Champion Non-Hanoverian Mare was Ultima (Idocus out of Hathalia), breeder: Christine McCarthy and owned by Donna Childs & Scott Bush. Liberty Girl (Liberty Gold-EM Lollipop x Letkiss), ridden by Cindy Faulconer, won the Mare Performance Test.
The Futurity class winners were as follows:
Two Year Old Colts/Geldings:
Rigaudon (Rubignon - Fuerst von Feuer); Breeder: Pat Limage, owner: Linda Sommers
Two Year Old Fillies:
Derry (Dauphin - Rienzi); Breeder: Marefield Meadows, owners: Patience & Hayden Wadly
Augustus X (Antibes-Letkiss); Breeder: Otto Fuchs/Hilton Farm, Owner: Shannon Levines
Donna Darius (Don Darius - Liberty Gold); Breeder & Owner: Otto Fuchs, Hilton Farm. It is interesting to note that the dam of the filly, EM Liberty Girl, was the winner of the Mare Performance Test this day as well!
Twelve top quality foals were presented to the judges. The Top Colt was Rara Avis '13 Colt (Dauphin - Rara Avis by Rienzi), bred/owned by Lauren Gallasby, DVM. The Top Filly of the inspection was Raphaea '13 Filly (Dauphin - Raphaea by Rienzi), bred/owned by Tara Grossman. Two very closely related top foals!
July 22, 2013 Callaway Farm Inspection at Rolling Stone Farm
An unfortunate sick horse caused some quick thinking and re-arranging of the location for the Callaway Farm inspection. Thankfully the original host farm spoke up with their concerns immediately when a sick horse was noted on the facility just two days prior to the inspection. Kim Callaway and Kendra Hansis put out the call for help and Mo & Jim Swanson graciously opened up their farm so that the inspection could continue as planned. Francesca B (Fabuleaux-Don Schufro) won the Mare Performance Test. She was bred by Barbara Schmidt & Frederick Abblett and is owned by Mo Swanson. Talley Ruhle's colt World Player TFH (Welfenkonig-Donnerhall) was chosen as the Top Foal.
July 23, 2013 High Valley Hanoverians AHS Inspection, Dawsonville, GA
The AHS inspection hosted by High Valley Hanoverians was a bit smaller than normal this year due to the switch from Fall to Summer calendar, but was very well attended by over 40 spectators. The AHS judges were Sharon Garner (Texas) and Jurgen Rump (Germany). The inspection summary is as follows:
Mare Performance Test:
Five mares completed the MPT, all trained by High Valley Hanoverians:
- 2009 Rebellienne HVH (Rotspon x EM Whitney/Welser) was MPT winner with a score of 7.67 including scores of 8.5 for her walk, overall 8 for gaits and a 9 for rideability. Rebellienne is now an Elite Mare having been previously inspected and produced a 2013 foal. Rebellienne was bred and is owned by High Valley Hanoverians.
- 2008 Falena (Fabuleux x Lasca/Lasino) also achieved a MPT score of 7.67 including overall jump average and overall gaits average of 7.5 with a rideability score of 8. EMC Falena was bred and is owned by Rebecca Boydston
- 2008 Caliente (Corcovado x Gemmamaria/Graf Goetz), an Oldenburg mare, received a MPT score of 7.33 to achieve her performance record. Caliente was bred by Lisa Dunn and is owned by Kate O'Grady.
- 2010 Sariah HVH (Sinatra Song x SPS Fabel/Fabriano) achieved a MPT score of 7 and was placed into the Main Stud Book. Sariah was bred and is owned by High Valley Hanoverians.
- 2010 Danica HVH (DeLaurentis x Sorette/Metall) received a MPT score of 6.86 and was placed into the Main Stud Book. Danica was bred and is owned by High Valley Hanoverians.
Hanoverian Mare Inspection:
Six mares completed the Hanoverian Inspection:
- 2008 Falena (Fabuleux x Lascal / Lasino) earned High Score Hanoverian mare with a score of 7.17. She was bred and is owned by Rebecca Boydston.
- 2010 Legacy CV (Locksley I x Fliegera / Feinerstern) also earned a score of 7.17. She was bred and is owned by Lisa Dunn.
- 2010 Danica HVH (DeLaurentis x Sorette / Metall) earned a score of 7.0. She was bred and owned by High Valley Hanoverians.
- 2010 Whimsey Rose (Worthy Opponent x Wrenya / Winterprinz) also earned a score of 7.0. She was bred and owned by Lisa Dunn.
- 2010 Sariah HVH (Sinatra Song x SPS Fabel / Fabriano) earned a score of 6.83. She was bred and owned by High Valley Hanoverians.
- 2005 Wienna SH (Wolkenglanz x Frizette / Wuemmestern) earned a score of 6.33. She was bred by Isabelle Swiegler-Brown and owned by Sabrina Byrum.
Non-Hanoverian Mare Inspection:
Five mares completed the non-Hanoverian Mare Inspection:
- 2001 ISR Peugot (Pablito x Jean Hajii / Cari County) with a score of 6.83. She is owned by Diane Carlson.
- 2003 ISR Wrhondavue (Widmark x Jean Hagii / Cari County) with a score of 6.83. She is owned by Diane Carlson.
- 1997 Oldenburg Colleen (Contango x Delphi / Der Clou) with a score of 6.67. She is owned by Katherine Murray.
- 2008 ISR Caliente (Corcovado x Gemmamaria / Graf Goetz) with a score of 6.33. She is owned by Kate O'Grady and was bred by Lisa Dunn.
- 2010 Oldenburg Farakai (Farewell III x Rubina MWF /Rabino) with a score of 6.33. She is owned by Dorie Climenhage and was bred by Claudia Novick.
Four foals were presented and branded:
- Colt by Dancier x EM Rebellienne HVH / Rotspon (top colt). Bred and owned by High Valley Hanoverians.
- Filly by Fuerst Romancier x EM Whitney/Welser (top filly). Bred and owned by High Valley Hanoverians.
- Colt by Dacaprio x Wienna SH. Bred and owned by Sabriana Byrum.
- Colt by Donarweiss GGF x Fraulein/Festrausch. Bred and owned by Kathleen Jackson.
A total of 6 futurity horses completed including the following winners:
Watermark HVH (Wamberto x EM Destria HVH / Don Principe) with a score of 76. Bred and owned by High Valley Hanoverians.
High Voltage HVH (Harvard x EM Wruffian Q / Weltbekannt with a score of 72.5. Bred and owned by High Valley Hanoverians.
Renaissance Man HVH (Rousseau x EM Whitney / Welser) with a score of 74.5. Bred and owned by High Valley Hanoverians.
July 26, 2013 HorsePower Farm Inspection, Vancouver, WA
HorsePower Farm's inspection was well-attended with horses participating from both Washington and Oregon. All spectators and participants enjoyed the educational commentary from AHS judges Volker Ehlers (WA) and Vanessa Carlson (OK) throughout the day. Everyone also enjoyed the wonderful lunch buffet prepared by Kim Ransdell, HorsePower Farm's barn manager. Thank you, Kim!
Four Hanoverian mares were inspected, with Grayce (Graf Top II-Belleza by Bordeaux), owned/bred by Elizabeth & Devon Parman, Olympia, WA awarded the title of Champion Hanoverian mare. Reserve Champion by a very narrow margin was Winnifer (Wolkentanz I-Argentan I), a tall 2007 Hanoverian mare owned/bred by Jo Ann & Dale Thomas, Vista Ridge Farm, Wedderburn, OR. Two non-Hanoverian mares (both Westfalen) were inspected and accepted by AHS. The Champion "Non-Hanoverian" mare was Splendid In Black (San Amour-DeNiro-World Cup I), a 3 year old imported black mare owned by Diane Nauman, Hardenberg Farms, Albany, OR. This mare was eligible to be branded Hanoverian in Germany, as her dam is a Hanoverian and her sire is Hanoverian approved, but she was instead branded Westfalen as a foal by her breeder. Therefore, it is nice to have this mare and her future foals "back" with the Hanoverian breed.
Four mares completed the mare performance test; two three-year-olds, a five-year-old and seven-year-old. The MPT Champion was Rhuby (Royal Prince-Ahorn), a 2006 Hanoverian mare bred and owned by Janet Grunbok, Bainbridge Island, WA.
Six foals were presented; three colts and three fillies. These foals included:
- 2013 SPS Harmonie Colt (Wolkentanz I-SPS Harmonie by Hohenstein), bred/owned by Nancy Connolly, HorsePower Farm, Vancouver, WA
- 2013 West Montana Colt (Foundation-West Montana by Warkant), bred/owned by Ashlie Miller, McKenna, WA
- Bellino RSH - Colt (Belissimo M-Mya by Michelangelo), bred/owned by Catherine Reid, Sultan, WA
- 2013 Diva Filly (Belissimo M-Diva by Donatelli), bred/owned by Martha Caldwell, Lake Oswego, OR
- 2013 Winnifer Filly (Londonderry-Winnifer by Wolkentanz I), bred/owned by Jo Ann Thomas, Wedderburn, OR
2013 EM Loreen DH Filly (Fürst Romancier-EM Loreen DM by Lemon Park), bred/owned by Meg Brinton, DVM, Ridgefield, WA. This filly was the Champion foal of the inspection; a tall, elegant filly with three outstanding gaits. A modern, typey foal that the judges used as an example of "what breeders should strive to produce" when speaking to the crowd watching the inspection. Congratulations, Meg
July 29, 2013 High Point Hanoverians Inspection, MD:
Four Hanoverian Mares and two Non-Hanoverian Mares were presented. Quintessa MF (by Quaterback), bred by Maryanna Haymon and owned by Susan Graham-White, was named top Hanoverian mare with an overall 7.66 and a score of 9 for her neck. The Fidertanz-Schampus mare Keepsake, owned by Laureen Megen and bred by Karen Walters was named Top Non-Hanoverian Mare, also with a 7.66 overall. Elizabeth Callahan presented the lovely Thoroughbred mare Aheadofthebest for both Studbook inspection and for the Mare Performance Test. The mare is an excellent Thoroughbred type with wonderful rideability. She scored a 7.5 for her studbook inspection and a 7.22 on her MPT, including an 8 for rideability. The Top Hanoverian filly from this inspection was Sabella (Sinatra Song-Rosenthal -Wolkentanz), bred and owned by High Point Hanoverians.
July 29, 2013 Windswept Farm Inspection, Ontario, Canada
Windswept Farm's inspection in Canada was very successful with eight mare and three foals presented for inspection. AHS judges traveled thousands of miles from Oklahoma (Vanessa Carlson) and Oregon (Volker Ehlers) to inspect these lovely horses. The Champion Hanoverian Mare of the inspection was Carolina, a three year old black Hanoverian mare sired by Conteur and out of Spice (Sam Steele - Eichendorff - Barsoi xx ). Carolina was bred and owned by Windswept Farm. The Reserve Champion mare was Bonni M, by Bonifatius out of EM Scarlett (Sam Steele - World Cup IV - Acapulco). The Champion foal was Dancing Diva, an elegant filly by Dancier out of SPS Lili (Lemon Park - Weltmeyer - Bolero).