You are here:
This archive contains AHS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Please choose from one of the questions listed below to view its answer. This page is under development and more topics will be added as time allows.
How do I become an AHS member?
How do I edit a Marketplace listing?
Editing a Marketplace Listing
- Login to the AHS website with your registered username and password.
- Go to the Hanoverian Marketplace page.
- Click on the Edit Listing button in the ribboned menubar below.
- You will be taken to the “User Ad Management Panel – Listings” page
- Click on the appropriate links to View, Edit, Delete or manage your images. To edit your contact information, click on the “Profile” link in the far left top corner of the page. Scroll to the very bottom of the page to the “Classifieds Profile Info” section. Edit your Phone/Address/City/State information and click on the “Update Profile” button.
If you have any questions throughout the listing process please contact email@example.com.
How do I place a complimentary Futurity Listing?
Only horses which entered the current-year AHS Futurity classes during the inspection tour and paid the added $7 fee will be approved for a one-time 90-day posting with this payment term.
To place your complimentary futurity listing:
- Login to the AHS website at http://hanoverian.org with your registered username and password. If you have forgotten your password you may retrieve it at https://www.hanoverian.org/?action=lostpassword&instance=1
- Go to the Hanoverian Marketplace page at http://www.hanoverian.org/hanoverian-marketplace/.
- Click on the “Place Listing” button in the yellow ribboned menubar.
- Choose the category that your listing should appear in.
- Select the “$19.99 AHS Member Website-Only 90 Day Listing (1 web photo)” payment term. You will use a coupon code in step #8 for your free listing. Only horses which entered the current-year AHS Futurity classes during the inspection tour and paid the added $7 fee will be approved for a one-time 90-day posting with this payment term.
- Select a Payment Method. At this time the software is limited to accepting payments though paypal.
- Click the “Continue” button
- On this screen you will be asked to Complete Payment. Use the Coupon/Discount Code that was emailed to you. This code will allow you to redeem one (1) free listing per entry. Click “Apply Coupon”.
- Complete the Ad Details page, making sure to enter all required information and click the Continue button at the bottom of the page. Embedded YouTube videos are not offered at this payment level however regular http://mywebsite.com links will be clickable.
- Upload any images. Files must be no larger than 5 MB to load correctly. Larger images must be resized first. For help resizing your images go to http://www.ehow.com/how_4884591_reduce-digital-image-file-size.html. Proceed by clicking the Upload Images at the bottom of the page. You may change images at any time during the listing duration by clicking on the Edit Listing button.
- Your ad has been submitted and an email has been sent to the email address you provided with information you will need to edit your listing. All ads must first be approved by the office prior to going live. (Please allow up to three business days for approval). As soon as an office has approved your ad it will become visible in the system. You may edit your listing at any time once it has been approved by clicking on the “Edit Listing” button.
How do I pay for a Marketplace listing by check?
At this time the Marketplace software is limited to accepting payments though paypal. To place an ad by check, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further directions.
Can I change my username to something more anonymous?
Usernames cannot be changed for login purposes, however you may edit the Display Name in your Profile. This will allow you to bid more anonymously in the stallion auction, for example.
Do I need to register to bid in the auction?
Yes, all bidders must register on this site in order to participate in the auction.
FREE registration is required if you are a non-AHS member wishing to bid in the auction. FREE Auction-level registration is used for bidding purposes only and will not give the user access to Members Only sections of the website. Please visit the Membership and Services page for more information on becoming an AHS member. Current-year AHS members with login credentials for this site may use those for bidding purposes – you do not need to register twice. Login/registration areas are located in the right hand column of all auction pages.
How does bidding work?
The AHS Stallion Service Auction uses Standard (Proxy Bidding)
This is the default option. Here Bidder A can enter a proxy Maximum Bid that they are willing to bid up to and be protected in the auction till their Maximum Bid is beaten.
- “Stallion A” has a starting bid of $100.
- John places a maximum bid of $250. His current bid starts at $100.
- Mary places a bid of $200, but is told that her bid is lower than John’s bid.
- The current bid of John is now raised to $225 to defeat Mary’s bid of $200.
- Mary can choose to place a new bid which is more than $250 or higher, to outbid John.
- Bid increments are automatically set at $25 and calculated by the bidding algorithm. Bids placed will have to be above that value AND the automatic bid increment will use the same value.
How do I know if I am winning an auction?
If you are on the stallion’s auction page, simply refresh the page or click the refresh bid icon. A list of bidders can be found under the “Bids” tab. If you are winning, your name and current bid will be displayed on top.
Will I be notified if I am outbid?
Outbid notices are generated by the system and sent out automatically to the email address listed with the bidder’s user account.
However, please do not rely on these notification emails as they may experience transmission delays or be tagged into your junk/spam folders. To check your status as a bidder, if you are on the stallion’s auction page, a list of bidders can be found under the “Bids” tab. If you are winning, your name and current bid will be displayed on top.
How do I make a payment if I am the winning bidder?
Winning bid email will contain a PayPal link for quick payment as well as contact numbers and a downloadable form for faxing information to the office if so desired. Payment must be made within 48 hours of auction close or the next highest bidder will receive the offer. Bidders who default on an auction will be blocked from future events.
What is a current-year AHS member?
An individual is considered a current-year AHS member if they have paid their membership dues for the year
(January 1 to December 31).
To become an AHS member, visit the AHS Membership and Services page for a detailed listing of membership types as well as member services. Click on the link below to view the membership application.
What is the AHS Members-Only Site?
The AHS Members-Only Site was designed to allow current-year AHS members access to Mare Inspection Score and Mare Performance Test Score archives, browse or post foal announcements, and download AHS and Hannoveraner Verband print media publications such as The American Hanoverian and The Hanoverian magazines.
How do I know if content is restricted to only current-year AHS members?
Content that is restricted to only current-year AHS members is designated in the navigation bar with an H-US icon. If a viewer tries to access restricted information while not logged in, they will not be able to read the material and will be prompted to login to their account.
How will I receive my Members-Only Site login information?
Once a week new AHS memberships will be imported into the system. When this occurs, you will receive an email similar to the following:
Subject: American Hanoverian Society Members-Only Section Login Information
Please find below your login information for the Members-Only section on the AHS website.
You are receiving this email because you are registered as a current-year member with the American Hanoverian Society (AHS). In an effort to offer its members additional services, current-year members may browse and list announcements of their Hanoverian foal births on the website. The breeders of these foals must be current-year AHS members in good standing and the foals must be eligible for AHS registration (mare and stallion dues current and paid). In addition to Hanoverian foal announcements, users may browse the searchable databases of Mare Inspection and Mare Performance Test scores, as well as download AHS and Hannoveraner Verband print publications in PDF format.
Content that is restricted to only current-year AHS members is designated on the website in the navigation bar with an H-US icon.
An archive of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding the Members-Only site can be found at www.hanoverian.org/ahs-members-only-faqs. The page is under development and more topics will be added as time allows. If you cannot find an answer to your question please contact email@example.com. Any membership inquiries should be directed to the AHS central office at (859) 255-4141 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on the link below to login to your account. If you are unable to click on the link, copy and paste it into your browser window.
If you experience any trouble while trying to login to your account, please contact email@example.com.
If the AHS central office had more than one name listed with your email address the first name provided was used as your username. Once you log in you will be able to change your password to something of your own choosing by clicking on the “Profile” link. Remember, you must have a valid email address on file in order for the information to reach you!
Please note that your log in information will expire at the end of the current calendar year (12/31) and new credentials will be emailed to members as they join for the next calendar year. Complete and submit the Membership Form to renew your membership now.
How do I change my password for the AHS Members-Only section?
To change your AHS Member’s Only section password log in to your account with your current username and password. Once you have accessed the Dashboard, click on the Profile tab on the left-hand side of the page. Near the bottom on the page enter your new password in proper fields. Remember to click the Update Profile button at the bottom of the page before navigating to another webpage.
How do I advertise in the AHS Magazine?
To learn more about advertising with the AHS magazine visit the AHS Print Advertising and Publication page or click the link below to view the AHS Magazine Advertising Order Form. For more information or questions regarding advertising or materials submission for publication, please contact the AHS Publications Editor.
How do I advertise in the AHS Breeders’ Guide, Stallion Directory and Mare Book?
To learn more about advertising with the AHS Breeder’s Guide, Stallion Directory, and Mare Book visit the AHS Print Advertising and Publication page or click on the link below to view the AHS Breeders’ Guide Advertising Agreement. For more information or questions regarding advertising or materials submission for publication, please contact the AHS Publications Editor.
How do I purchase banner advertising on the AHS website?
To order banner advertising on the AHS website, click on the link below for an online order form, or visit the AHS Website Banner Advertising page. All advertising must be prepaid. If you prefer, you may enter your information, print the form and fax it to the AHS Central Office at (859) 255-8467, or mail a completed form with payment to:
The American Hanoverian Society
4067 Iron Works Parkway, Suite 1
Lexington, KY 40511
How do I add my link to the Hanoverian Links page?
Current AHS members may maintain a link to their business/farm on the Hanoverian Links page. A first-time link request must be made through the AHS office at (859) 255-4141 or firstname.lastname@example.org, and there is a one-time fee of $25.00.
Do new foals require DNA typing?
Effective since 1993, the parentage of foals registered with the AHS must be verified by blood or DNA typing. The DNA types of the dam, sire and foal must be on file before registration can be completed. Samples of hair, which must include roots, can be pulled regardless of the foal’s age. DNA typing kits are sent automatically upon receipt of inspection enrollment forms and fees. Visit the Foal Registration page to learn more about DNA typing.
What is the procedure for obtaining a Certificate of Pedigree for my horse?
You may contact the AHS office. We will be glad to send you the appropriate paperwork required.
In order to qualify for a Certificate of Pedigree, the horse must have either the sire or dam in the AHS breeding program. The dues must be current on the Hanoverian-approved parent. In order to get a CP, the following requirements must be met:
- You must be a current Active Member.
- You must submit the completed Certificate of Pedigree application.
- You must submit a set of four color photos showing all four sides of the horse in order to confirm markings (No moving pictures please. The photos are best if taken outdoors to ensure appropriate lighting. All four legs should be able to be seen. If horse has a lot of white on face, additional photos are appreciated.)
Can I register my foal by mail?
Outreach branding and mail-in registration options are also available for foals unable to attend a scheduled inspection. In order to be eligible, all foals MUST be registered by the end of their yearling year. Please contact the AHS office at (859) 255-4141 or email@example.com if you have any questions. More information regarding foal registration can be found on the Foal Registration page.
What are the foal naming requirements?
The foal’s name must begin with the first letter of the sire’s registered name. The only exception to this rule of registration involves the W line. Offspring of certain W-line stallions whose pedigrees contain Feiner Kerl and Ferdinand must be named beginning with the letter F. AHS stallions whose foals are affected by this ruling include Walldorf, Walter Scott, Wishing Well, Wodan and Wümmestern.
Names are not to exceed 20 letters including spaces and punctuation. The name cannot be duplicated within the system. If the name choice you want has already been used, you may add initials or numbers after the name (i.e. Whitney SC, Whitney II).
How do I find out if a foal name is already taken?
You may contact the AHS office by phone (859) 255-4141 or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will be glad to search the database and see if a name is available. AHS board policy does not allow us to hold names, but we will be glad to work with you upon receiving payment.
How do I post a Hanoverian Foal Announcement?
To post a Hanoverian Foal Announcement in the AHS Members-Only Site you must be a current-year AHS member. Once you are a member, complete and submit the Foal Announcement Submission Form to post your announcement.
How do I transfer ownership?
To record a transfer or ownership, proof of new ownership must be provided. A completed AHS Transfer Form, a copy of the bill of sale, or a letter from the former owner stating the facts of the transfer are each sufficient. The original AHS or HV registation certificate must be sent to the Central Office to record the change of ownership. Updated papers are returned by mail. Click on the link below to view the AHS Transfer Form or visit the Transfers of Ownership page for more information.
What do I do if my horse’s registration papers are lost?
In the case of a German-papered Hanoverian whose papers have been lost, the owner may contact the AHS office in order to apply for a Confirmation of Identity.
In regards to AHS Hanoverian papers, the only person who is eligible to request duplicate AHS papers is the current AHS owner of record. The duplicate paper fee is $150 and you must be a current AHS Active member to request duplicates. You will need to get a NOTARIZED note from the AHS owner of record stating that the papers were lost, either prior to or after the sale of the horse, and they authorize you to request duplicate papers. You will then have to complete the duplicate paper form and return it to the AHS office along with the appropriate fee, photos and a completed horse marking page. You will need to contact our office and we will gladly send you the appropriate form. As required with every transfer, you must provide either a signed Transfer form or signed bill of sale from the previous owner. If there have been multiple owners between the original AHS owner and you, a paper trail must be provided showing how the horse was acquired by you (i.e. either signed transfer forms or signed bill of sales between each owner to the next to you).
What is the purpose of the AHS Services Directory?
The AHS Services Directory serves as a practical resource and network between places and persons that can properly breed, prepare and train warmblood horses.